Overview of Food License Registration
In India, a food license is required for any individual or entity that is involved in food-related activities such as manufacturing, processing, packaging, distribution, and sale of food products. The food license is issued under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006, which is a comprehensive law that regulates food safety and hygiene standards in the country.
Types of FSSAI Registration
The food license is classified into three categories, namely:
- Basic Registration: This is for small-scale food businesses having a turnover up to Rs. 12 lakhs.
- State License: This is required for medium-sized food businesses having a annual turnover Rs. 12 lakhs to Rs. 20 crores. It is issued by the State Government where the business is located.
- Central License: This is required for large-sized food businesses that have an annual turnover of more than Rs. 20 crores. It is issued by the Central Government through the FSSAI.
The food license application process involves filling out an application form, providing necessary documents such as proof of identity, address, and the type of food business, and paying the requisite fee. The license is issued within 30 days of the application.
Procedure for Food License Registration
Here's a step-by-step procedure for Food License or FSSAI registration in India:
- Sign up on the FoSCoS Portal
- Login to your account
- Click to “Apply for New License/Registration” button
- Select the premise of operation “General”, “Railway Station” or “Airport/Seaport”
- Choose the State where License/Registration will be obtained.
- Choose Manufacturing, Trade/Retail, Food Service, or Central Govt. Agency from the group of business types.
- Select any one of the Multiple Selection can be made from each group.
- Click on the Proceed button.
- Fill Registration Certificate Details such as applicant details, address of premises, contact details
- Select years you want to apply from one to five years.
- Attach the necessary documents
- The last step is to pay the requisite fee for the food license
- After completing the above steps, submit the application
- The FSSAI will review the application and documents submitted and may conduct an inspection of the food business premises. The food license will be issued within 30 days of the application.
It is important to ensure that the food business complies with the food safety and hygiene standards specified by the FSSAI to avoid penalties or fines.
Documents Required For Food License Registration
The documents needed to register for a food license in India can vary based on the Kind of Business.
However, here are some of the commonly required documents:
It is important to note that the documents required may vary depending on the type of license required and the state where the business is located. It is advisable to check with the local FSSAI office for a complete list of required documents before starting the registration process.
Benefits of Food License Registration
Food license registration in India offers several benefits to food businesses, some of which are:
- Food license registration ensures that the food business complies with the legal requirements.
- It helps to maintain food safety and hygiene standards and reduces the risk of penalties or fines.
- Food license registration helps to build consumer trust
- Food license registration is essential for businesses that wish to expand their operations to other states or countries.
- It is a mandatory requirement for obtaining import-export licenses.
- Food license registration improves the marketability of the food products as it assures consumers.
- It also opens up opportunities to supply to large retail chains and government institutions.
- Food license registration helps to create a positive brand image for the food business.
In summary, food license registration is essential for any food business in India as it ensures compliance with the legal requirements, builds consumer trust, improves marketability, and provides access to various government schemes and subsidies.
Renewal of FSSAI License
The FSSAI license is necessary to start a food business, and it is equally important to renew the license. The business must submit an application for renewal 30 days before the current license expires since the license is good for 1 year or 5 years.
FSSAI License Govt. Fees
The following are the different types of FSSAI registration fees:
- FSSAI Basic Registration – Fee of Rs.100/-
- FSSAI State License – Fee between Rs.2,500/- to Rs.5,000/-(Based on the Kind of Business)
- FSSAI Central License – Fee of Rs.7,500/-
Get FSSAI licenses easily with our expert assistance.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some frequently asked questions about food license in India:
What is a food license in India?
A food license in India is a legal document that is issued by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) to businesses involved in food manufacturing, processing, packaging, storage, and distribution. It ensures that the food products produced by the business meet the safety and quality standards specified by the FSSAI.
Who needs a food license in India?
All food businesses involved in manufacturing, processing, packaging, storage, and distribution of food products are required to obtain a food license in India. The type of license required may vary depending on the size and nature of the business.
What are the types of food licenses in India?
There are three types of food licenses in India - FSSAI Registration, State License, and Central License. The type of license required depends on the size and nature of the food business.
What are the benefits of obtaining a food license in India?
Obtaining a food license in India provides several benefits such as legal compliance, consumer trust, business expansion, increased marketability, access to government schemes, and a positive brand image.
What are the documents required for food license registration in India?
The documents required for food license registration may vary depending on the type of license required. However, some of the commonly required documents include proof of identity and address, food safety management plan, business registration proof, list of food products, NOC from the local health department, FSSAI declaration form, manufacturing unit plan, and import-export code.
What is the validity of a food license in India?
The validity of a food license in India depends on the type of license obtained. The FSSAI Registration is valid for 1-5 years, the State License is valid for 1-5 years, and the Central License is valid for 1-5 years or more, depending on the discretion of the licensing authority.
How to renew a food license in India?
The food license in India can be renewed by submitting a fresh application along with the necessary documents and fee. The renewal must be done before the expiry of the existing license.